Daggerdale 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Feck/fuck wtf?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Telkar

Telkar

Feck/fuck wtf? Empty
PostSubject: Feck/fuck wtf?   Feck/fuck wtf? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 10:46 am

Now I've seen this word a couple of times used in RP, and a certain thread triggered this one. The word is very modern in usage and when I see it RPed in this setting it gives me a very silly feeling, it just doesn't fit there to me. I don't know if it's used because of the lack of vocabulary, if so, I don't understand why people don't take a little time looking for some new ones. Does feck mean anything else than fuck? Don't know why it's used instead of fuck, perhaps for a sense of accent or maybe it's a sort of euphemism to squeeze it into RP without letting it look too real life(modern). The setting undeniably uses things from the past and from various cultures where magic hasn't been replaced by technology etc. It's really silly to picture people in such setting saying "fuck you!" to each other when pissed off or whatever. It becomes a parody. Of course there are many other words we use that weren't used in the past and the other way around, but fuck.... is to cross the line IMO.

That's how I personally feel about this subject, but what do you think?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/matthiasinn
Venerate One
DM
DM
Venerate One

Feck/fuck wtf? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feck/fuck wtf?   Feck/fuck wtf? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 1:13 pm

Actualy the word 'fuck' comes from the middle ages.

It was an insult used by English Longbowmen when they gave the two fingered salute to their French enemies. If a Longbowman was captured by the French, he would have his two bow fingers cut off, thus rendering him unable to perform his battlefield duty.

Hence the Englishmen used to proudly display these two fingers and proclaim 'We can still pluck you!' Over the years this slowly became 'fuck you'

Lesson over :p
Back to top Go down
Telkar

Telkar

Feck/fuck wtf? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feck/fuck wtf?   Feck/fuck wtf? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Hehe, interesting. Very absurd if we put this meaning into the word as it's used nowadays, though "plucking elf" would make some sense, with all sense of insult stripped away. The word and its meaning hold in hand though and its meaning today is obviously very different. People use its modern meaning, but someone please tell me they had every intention of using its original meaning. ^^
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/matthiasinn
Preddy

Preddy

Feck/fuck wtf? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feck/fuck wtf?   Feck/fuck wtf? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 5:22 am

Well the meaning isnt too different, i mean an arrow penetrating in the original sense, lulz ill leave the rest to imagination
Back to top Go down
Raland

Raland

Feck/fuck wtf? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feck/fuck wtf?   Feck/fuck wtf? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 6:07 am

Personally I prefer to substitute things much like in Kotor how they said space yourself or space off or space you but obviously you don't use space in forgotten realms setting so something like pike off theres really no need to get into the feck fuck thing
Back to top Go down
blessedcurse

Feck/fuck wtf? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feck/fuck wtf?   Feck/fuck wtf? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 9:27 am

An equivalent FR word is 'hrast' or 'hrasting', there are a couple more in the Swords of Eveningstar and Swords of Dragonfire books by Ed Greenwood.

Shite and sh*t seem to be used interchangably, but I prefer shite personally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feck/fuck wtf? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feck/fuck wtf?   Feck/fuck wtf? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feck/fuck wtf?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Daggerdale 2 :: Out of Character Forum :: OOC Talk-
Jump to: