Daggerdale 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no

Go down 
+7
Tripp
sack blabbith
Blue-Wizard
Ganon
E
Telkar
whodatis?
11 posters

Should we give the towns a facelift?
Yeah, that would be welcome and great!
Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_vote_lcap69%Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_vote_rcap
 69% [ 9 ]
Hell no! Do it and I'll kill you!
Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_vote_lcap8%Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Who cares? Just keep the server running and I'm happy.
Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_vote_lcap23%Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no Empty
PostSubject: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 2:22 pm

We have a build staff now that is thinking of making the server look alot more like it should from the PnP maps. They are already making and adding areas in between the towns to show the proper distances. Don't worry, we're going to use the stables to offer transportation for a small nominal fee. But the question the builders have is: would changing the towns themselves ruin your fun and the nostalgia you have for DD? We do all this so that we can all have fun and enjoy ourselves. So this is a community brainstorm. We are adding new areas, expanding the roads and mountains, and even a town or two. But do we want change in the Falls and Teshwave themselves?
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 1:09 pm

(feel free to give your opinion in type as well so we understand your thoughts)
Back to top Go down
Telkar

Telkar

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 2:17 pm

The looks of the town areas aren't a part of what fascinates me about the module, but rather the system of scripts and rp, so I'm more for the possibility of nice outlooks than not. On the behalf of Murkur though, proper rocks would be a big plus. tongue
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/matthiasinn
E

E

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 8:27 pm

With that large picture... I wonder if I should bother voting.
Back to top Go down
Ganon

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 9:33 am

Yes, there are plenty of new intersting tilesets to implement not only for towns, but using them for towns could be a good start.
What is intersting of DD is not the looks, but all the rest. In addition I would really see all those "new" tilesets in use cause, except some minor maps I made, I never had the chanche to play in/with them.
Back to top Go down
Blue-Wizard

Blue-Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 10:19 am

Change is good. Right? Probably.

I think the idea of revamping the towns is exciting, though it really depends on what exactly it's changed to. Maybe this is a silly idea, and more work than needs be, but it's just a thought:

What if we were to see a little teaser of what you're thinking about. Like a small area with a transition either in the welcome area or accessible through DM port, just to have feedback and/or get a better idea of just what is going to happen.
Back to top Go down
sack blabbith

sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 6:35 am

I welcome the idea, although there are aspects of the towns that trigger nostalgia for old DD, which I sorta like. Nevertheless, I think it's nice to update servers and keep them fresh and exciting. My main concern is that there will be a lot more size to the towns and the outlying areas and that will result in even more spreading out of the already small player base, make in-town RP more difficult, and maybe even contribute to crashing the server. While large towns are cool to behold, sometimes it is nice to have centralized shops and gathering places.

Anywho, I voted yes.
Back to top Go down
Tripp

Tripp

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 8:24 am

Truthfully, I remember voting for the last part which was "Who cares? Keep the servering running" but I joined DD like 5 months before it got unplugged and one of the things I miss are the gatherings and RP scenery around the front of the tavern. Pickle Barrel anybody?
Back to top Go down
Q-2
DM
DM
Q-2

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Yes, I think, but please try to retain the town as it is now, a facelift is nice, change is good, chaos is good.

Though change it too much and it becomes something else entirely.
Back to top Go down
Venerate One
DM
DM
Venerate One

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 12:10 pm

I agree, lets try to think more along the lines of 'evolution' rather than complete and utter 'revolution'...
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 2:02 pm

"Evolution" is a hell of a lot trickier than you all may think.Enlarge the grid and add to the town and you'll have loading and lag issues.Move houses around etc. and you'll lose pc housing.Do to the inaccurate placement of the Falls in the town itself they are going to be removed and that will free up alot of extra space for other things.Things can be done but I was thinking of trying a whole new tileset altogether. *shrugs* But Whatever everyone would like and would feel best.I can keep the small town feeling while changing...but like I said w/e you guys think.As for Teshwave that's a whole other beast altogether.I've already received a diction on the direction the admin. would like to take it so that helps alot in my mind as to the direction I am going to take.Alas it is what is...
Back to top Go down
Makuren

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Venerate One wrote:
I agree, lets try to think more along the lines of 'evolution' rather than complete and utter 'revolution'...

Q-2 wrote:
Yes, I think, but please try to retain the town as it is now, a facelift is nice, change is good, chaos is good.

As an OLD DD player since its Beta, I enjoyed seeing the server evolve with new amazing scripts, spawn ideas, armor restrictions, Leveling restrictions (TODs, PRCs, etc). I think a facelife would be an excellent way to bring some new life in the stale maps that DD offers IMO. I say stale due to my subjective experience and time here in DD. I practically know the server maps by heart and not much has changed for the maps themselves. I would not mind seeing it altered with some minor tweaking and updates here or there as Venerate One and Q-2 said however a whole new "from the ground up" facelift would make DD feel alien to me again it would lose its old "charm" that it still has on me.

I like the face lift idea, but don't oversell it and overkill Daggerdale with new content Sad .
Back to top Go down
Venerate One
DM
DM
Venerate One

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 2:25 pm

I agree. If giving the server a 'facelift' means that Dagger Falls suddenly becomes alien and new then I vote no.

You also have the implications of RP, how is it that suddenly you character wakes up one day and BAM! everything has suddenly change. I know one or two characters that would at least suspect some foul play Wink

Im sorry Weave, I know it sounds like I am constantly locking horns with your creative ideas, but I say if it isnt broke, dont fix it. A few brighter placeables here and there, a few new NPCs and quests to show evolution of time, maybe a new faction here and there and definatley some longer roads.

But a different tileset and complete overhaul of the main area used in the mod? Its risky.
Back to top Go down
Q-2
DM
DM
Q-2

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 2:38 pm

NPCs! With backgrounds! Quests! Stories! Stories!
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Venerate One wrote:
I agree. If giving the server a 'facelift' means that Dagger Falls suddenly becomes alien and new then I vote no.

You also have the implications of RP, how is it that suddenly you character wakes up one day and BAM! everything has suddenly change. I know one or two characters that would at least suspect some foul play Wink

Im sorry Weave, I know it sounds like I am constantly locking horns with your creative ideas, but I say if it isnt broke, dont fix it. A few brighter placeables here and there, a few new NPCs and quests to show evolution of time, maybe a new faction here and there and definatley some longer roads.

But a different tileset and complete overhaul of the main area used in the mod? Its risky.

Lol, no way bro.I like the think tank we as a team are starting to develop.The facelifting of the towns was only a discussion that turned into an actual let's see what the players think and do something about it.As it is there aren't many places to put new NPC'S...all of the buildings are either stores or pc housing.Maybe a wandering townsmen or two...Yes there are places but like I said the current DF is limited to say the least.Hells don't get me wrong I love DF..it's homey but expansion wise and evolutionary aren't so hand in hand..And I said "I was THINKING of using a new tileset" lol...Actually I was going to build a whole new version of DF and just tweak the original and see what everyone liked best.As for Teshwave it NEEDS to be overhauled.It's squat and cluttered with nothing much to offer rp wise except as the home base of the baddies.Same with Ant's Dell...there just isn't an attraction to get those places traffic.Although one alteration in Tesh I made will see to that.As for the Dell I'll try and remedy that next update.But if ANYONE has any ideas on how they would like to see the Falls evolutionized I am definitely all ears!
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:11 pm

I asked for Tesh to be made more gritty and grimy, dirty and meaner. It's a city controlled by the Zhents and they don't care about people. So I asked for that to be made into more of an "underbelly of the city" if possible.

On another note, we're gonna set up a forum for those that are playtesting the new layout to see what they think.

Oh, as far as changing DF entirely with people not knowing what happened IC...I'm sure someone that loves dragon battles over town would enjoy razing the town so it could be rebuilt. afro
Back to top Go down
Makuren

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Is that a hint for a "special Dragon" to come by and raze the town?
Back to top Go down
Venerate One
DM
DM
Venerate One

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 6:38 am

whodatis? wrote:

Oh, as far as changing DF entirely with people not knowing what happened IC...I'm sure someone that loves dragon battles over town would enjoy razing the town so it could be rebuilt.

You mean this time I wont get banned from DMing for a month like under the old management Laughing

As for Anathar's Dell, I could take that off your hands... albino
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 am

Venerate One wrote:
whodatis? wrote:

Oh, as far as changing DF entirely with people not knowing what happened IC...I'm sure someone that loves dragon battles over town would enjoy razing the town so it could be rebuilt.

You mean this time I wont get banned from DMing for a month like under the old management Laughing

You sir would like to re-do/add to Anathar's Dell?

If so I have no qualms with accepting help.There is still so much to do any and all help is appreciated.There is no "I" in team lol
Back to top Go down
Venerate One
DM
DM
Venerate One

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 11:40 am

Why not. Ive wanted to change it into a proper town for years.
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 12:47 pm

*shrugs* Have at it then Smile
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 2:16 pm

Venerate One wrote:
whodatis? wrote:

Nope. It would be great. It would also give a suitable reason for the changes the server is undergoing. rendeer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no   Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Giving the towns a facelift, yes or no
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Daggerdale 2 :: Out of Character Forum :: OOC Talk-
Jump to: