A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

PC Clerics be warned

Go down 
AuthorMessage
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: PC Clerics be warned   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:58 pm

I found this great write-up and follow-up to a question on the old DD site. Credit Scytheblade

"What Player Character Clerics Can Expect if They Continue To Ignore The Consequences of Acting Outside Their Alignment."

I bring this up because I am kind of tired of having clerics approach and complain to DMs when their alignment is changed by the Bioware settings and they have essentially fallen from grace and can no longer enter the game.

If you are a cleric of one alignment (good, neutral and evil) and you continue to raise a player character of a different alignment (good, neutral, or evil), then your alignment will slowly begin to degrade and shift. If, for example, you are a good cleric of a Lawful Good deity, and you continue to hang out with that "Friendly Nuetral Evil Sorceror Named 'Jen My Friend'", who I never knew was evil because they were always so nice to me... and you continue to raise good ol' Jen's dead bones whenever they get smacked by the fatal ogre's club blows... then yes, you will lose favor with your god. Why? Even though you never knew he was evil, would you be punished so? After all, aren't you a goodly cleric of My Holyness the Church? Didn't I save the community raffle from having its cookiebake ruined by all those nasty southern farm bandits? Yes, perhaps you did... but... and here is the point of the story, folks: YOU ARE USING YOUR GOD'S POWER TO RAISE AND HEAL OTHERS... and they wish you to use that most holiest of clerical powers on worthy souls... not just any soul... not Jen the Evil-But-Never-Acts-Like-It-In-Public Sorceror's soul... but goodly souls...

This of course works inversely for evil player character priests.

Whenever you get that yellow writing in the chat box that says your alignment has been shifted, you can assume... no, consider, that you have experienced a godly *twitch* that tells you that that wasn't the right thing to do. To ignore that godly *twitch* would mean bad things. If this does not sound like RolePlaying to you, think again. There are all kinds of ways to play this into a character... But too many of you are picking clerics as character types thinking they are the best choice, the most powerful choice, but that you don't have to abide by the rules. In fact, a PC cleric is one of the most challenging character types to roleplay because of this fact of how to use your healing or warlike powers.

Please be advised. Future complaints based on a PCs own actions will no longer be attended to... and we don't mean to be mean about this. Please, please, please. Read up on your deity. Read up on your alignment. Play a priest that is dedicated to their god.

The next time you're having a bad day, imagine this: You're a Siamese twin. Your brother, attached at your shoulder is gay. You're not. He has a date coming over today. But you have the only ass. Feel better now???

Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PC Clerics be warned   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Part 2. Again, all credit to Scytheblade

The question of alignment and playing alignment seems to be a very philosophical one, but it's fairly simple if one stops to think about it now and then, *before* they do things. While an alignment shift is always based on an external 'action' taken by a PC, the interpretation of any resulting shift or effect on alignment must always be interpreted internally, by the PC, as it relates to them.

This may sound difficult, but it actually isn't when you consider most PCs have (or *should* have) opinions about a wide range of things, and certainly, while not always being able to voice them, wouldn't be able to say, for example, after seeing a goodly priest raise an evil character, that the goodly priest was definately, definately Lawful Good, or that the dead guy was evil. He would just know, if he were evil let's say, that he liked the outcome maybe, or presuming he was goodly aligned, that maybe he did not like the outcome. This opinion can be totally arbitrary, however. Based on his/her opinion of the character, or his mood even. (Maybe your PC has a fetish against people being raised. Maybe he thinks dead people should stay dead, etc).

What if you didn't know the guy was evil? You might moan, Am I to also be punished for this dumb priest's unknowing act? Well, no. Only if you look at alignment shifts as punishment, which they are not. Alignment shifts are necessary devices to plot who exactly the character wants to be alignment-wise. If he is hanging out with a band of goodies who keep raising good characters, sure, maybe he will not realize it at each and every moment, but over the long-term I think it would be fair to say his heart lies in a different place than Chaotic Evil! He may travel with that band once or twice to suit his purposes, but eventually the cold-hearted bastard will get sick of the goodie-two-shoes and split, out of boredom's sake if nothing else.

Same goes for the priest. She might whisper: 'Ooops, I got an icky feeling when I raised that thief... and come to think of it, he always skulks around with a dripping dagger... and now that you mention it, he never shares treasure, just copper pieces. Sure he has a nice smile, but... I think I shall warn him that is the last raise I can grant him.'

Obviously priests and faith-based classes have more to risk with alignment shifts... but that is because they are in the *business* so to speak of morality and spiritual guidance. They cannot afford to be so loose with their actions, and most certainly with their god's granted powers. (Although I see many, many PC clerics played loosely these days, more as healing factories or as stacked ganga war machines).

As far as metaplaying goes, roleplaying alignment information that might lead to PK'g or what-have-you... your questions are valid. But under no circumstance *ever* is there an acceptable reason to take OOC info and translate it into IC actions. The alignment *twitch* for a cleric is one thing... he/she is in the act of casting a divine magick that is directly tied into the being of another. But even they need to roleplay their doubt. Other PCs? No, sirree. Through observation and roleplay they should be getting to know and learn about the others they travel with and thus know what suits them and what doesn't.

As a player, yeah, you might use the yellow writing as kind of a reminder to pay attention. But if you continue over a long period of time to take alignment hits, then so be it. You will shift alignment. Although I have done it once on occasion myself, leaving a party while they raise another is *not* an acceptable means to avoid the alignment hit. It is metaplaying. As for Rob's query regarding not joining a party at all... I would say that too would be using OOC to advantage. However, that scenario might be justified IC if the RP work were to be well done. Say if the evil priest were to state IC from the beginning, 'Look, Chumpskies, I am walking that way too, but hey do not count on much from me, this is a relationship of convenience.' Or maybe the priest has full intention of planting his mace in their heads while they sleep... All of these could work, inside and outside of a party. But turning down an invite to join a group while fully intending to work as a group is kind of a sly way of averting future hits. This can be done more creatively than I have stated there in that example, but you get the gist. In short, should be a rare occurance.

Alignment is such a personal thing that it really is counted upon that PCs follow up on their own. If this means not travelling with someone, or leaving a group for what the others in the party might see as 'strange' reasons... (i.e., the evil blackguard is tired of seeing the Priest of Lathander lay her Krispy Kreme hands on the dead bodies of paladins...), then so be it. Play the afternoon alone. Make a new character. Start an evil fan club. Bake pumpkin cookies depicting Morn lynched. Whatever.

More often then not, you don't need a alignment hit to know whether someone is good. The evil is harder to detect, but heck... deceit has to carry some advanatages. When you find the bugger out... expel him. Tell him you don't trust him. There are boundless avenues of roleplay to be mined out here.

If neutral or good characters are tired of getting zapped whenever an evil guy is raised... and they are angry at the DMs because we won't allow IC enactment on that information that bleeps up in bright yellow on the screen? *Sighs* Well... it really is indicative of the fact that clerics aren't doing *their* job. It is in their court to use or refuse their healing powers. And when it comes to refusing, you rarely see it done.

But, in conclusion ... most of this hub-bub is due to the fact that many characters don't seem to know themselves. They are more interested in adventure and progress then in staying true to a personality. Obviously it is a game, but no single alignment hit is that bad. In general, it seems like folks will do just about anything, and team up with anybody to get some kicks. There are way too many players online at any given time for this to be acceptable.

The next time you're having a bad day, imagine this: You're a Siamese twin. Your brother, attached at your shoulder is gay. You're not. He has a date coming over today. But you have the only ass. Feel better now???

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PC Clerics be warned
Page 1 of 1