Daggerdale 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Literary Influences

Go down 
+3
whodatis?
Venerate One
CredibleThreat
7 posters
AuthorMessage
CredibleThreat

CredibleThreat

Literary Influences Empty
PostSubject: Literary Influences   Literary Influences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:09 pm

I'd like to start a post, hopefully with others chiming in, of fantasy or sci-fi influences, so that perhaps the playerbase can turn each other on to works that each have found engaging. Books, in particular, were the subject of thought here, though I imagine movies, TV shows, graphic novels and net-comics could all be included.

For Credible Threat:

Firstmost, the Dune series by Frank Herbert. Extremely rich, politically engaging and very vivid.

The Nehwon Series, by Fritz Leiber. The tales of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are light but well rendered and always entertaining.

The Thieves World Series, editted by Robert Aspirin. A fantastic compilation of author's given a setting and allowed to play with each other's lead character's, it makes for a wonderful melange of styles and visions.

The Baroque Series, by Neal Stephenson. Fabulous re-imagining of history set in a burgeoning time of technological birth and growth of thought, with Jack Shaftoe and his swashbuckling running through its entirety. One of the most interesting and lively created characters I have ever had the pleasure to read of.

Keith Laumer's Retief Series. A cock-sure, glib and sardonic interstellar diplomat, cutting through the red tape, usually with a right cross. Very funny.

And many others, including the Wheel of Time series, RE Howard's Conan and Cormac series', Michael Moorcock's Elric series, the Sprawl series of William Gibson, The Difference Engine of Gibson and Bruce Sterling (What if the computer was fully realized in the Age of Steam?), and The Ringworld series of Niven and the Amber series of Zelazny.
Back to top Go down
Venerate One
DM
DM
Venerate One

PostSubject: Re: Literary Influences   Literary Influences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:47 pm

I like my dark and gritty stuff.

Things that spring instantly to mind are:

George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. For those who aren't familiar (shame on you) its a dark fantasy world were there is no good and evil, noly shades of grey and characters who all put themselves first (and those who wont dont really last very long). This series has influenced quite a lot of my characters Wink

John Connolly's 'The book of lost things' was a very good read, taking the classic fairytale and fantasy cliche's and turning them on their head (A slave driver Snow White, a beastiality obsessed Little Red Riding Hood and an evil huntress rather than a goodly woodcutter).

David Gemmel books are also very good at portraying the anti-hero. Druss is a particular favourite.

The Dragonlance books will always have a special place in my heart, particularly the 'Twins' trilogy. Raistlin being one of my favourite characters of all time and, in my oppinion, one of the best endings to a character progression ever written.

David Edding's Belgariad and Sparhawk books are a given, and some of the first books that drew me into fantasy novels.

There are so many more. I read a lot of graphgic novels too as I am a very visual person.
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

PostSubject: Re: Literary Influences   Literary Influences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 pm

Joel Rosenburg's the Guardians of the Flame series is one my all all time faves. Taking people from our world and sticking them in the world they thought they were just playing a game in...what a concept.

Robin Hobb's Assassin's Trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy rock as well.

A new one that just came out is worth a read: Chris Evans A darkness Forged in Fire

Like Ven, I read alot. Maybe that's why I turned him onto George R.R. Martin's epic. If you haven't read it, pick it up. ♠
Back to top Go down
Bear_Den
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Literary Influences   Literary Influences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 6:07 pm

When I was in highschool (a long time ago) I had the entire "Chronicles of Gor" series. I also read a lot of Piers Anthony and started reading some David Eddings.

After a long spell of not reading, I started reading the Forgotten Realms paperbacks. Not litterary greats, but I enjoy reading them.
Back to top Go down
Bear_Den
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Literary Influences   Literary Influences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 6:29 pm

The Riftwar saga by Raymond Feist was very good. My younger bro turned me onto them.
Back to top Go down
Tripp

Tripp

PostSubject: Re: Literary Influences   Literary Influences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Chronicles of Gor... One of my friends like ran a WoW guild based around that...

As for mine? Dune and the Magic: The Gathering books that was mostly written by Robert Jordan. (sp?) I pretty much read MTG books back in high school when the Invasion Cycle was going and the cycle before that. I remember picking up the Dune books after I watched the Dune movie on the Sci-Fi channel. Thats when I learn that books are better then the movies.
Back to top Go down
liquid shadow
Admin
Admin
liquid shadow

Location : from? why I was squeezed from my mothers loins, bloody and squalling, where are you from? =D

PostSubject: Re: Literary Influences   Literary Influences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:59 pm

The Kushiel series by Jaqueline Carey. It's a tossup between that series and the Coldfire trilogy by CS Friedman as to which has my favorite villain/ess Wink

Another favorite of mine is the Darktower series by Stephen King.

I'm also a sucker for an Anita Blake book or the other series that Laurell K Hamilton is known for, the Merry Gentry series.

As far as other books go? Pretty much everything that venerate and whodatis listed as well. I was the one that turned who on to A Darkness Forged in Fire Smile

I'm sure there are others but I'm blanking on them at the moment so I'll leave it at this. Great idea credible. I've seen similar things done on another server forum that I used to play on, it's one of the few things I actually sorta miss at times Smile
Back to top Go down
Raland

Raland

PostSubject: Re: Literary Influences   Literary Influences I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 7:12 am

For me im going to have to name Dune as well.

Definately one of my most influencial reads are the books of Anne Rice.

Even if this is a cliche i must name the Drizzt series, love the self-reflective morality speeches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Literary Influences   Literary Influences I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Literary Influences
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Daggerdale 2 :: Out of Character Forum :: OOC Talk-
Jump to: