A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rapid55

PostSubject: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:57 am

I read the topic CEP or no CEP and I was like:

Please, I beg you, don't add cep! That's why I started playing in daggerdale in the first place! I don't want to lose something so good as Daggerdale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:56 pm

^^^^ Depends on if cep is used wisely or not.It can actually be good and add to a server if it's used properly.Albeit w/o making the server into an epic flash fest full of junk.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear_Den
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Uhm, wasn't the CEP possibilities 'killed' a long time ago?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valnagrad

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:24 pm

i would hope that the possibilities for that didnt die long ago
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snottling
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:41 pm

Yes, there will be no CEP.

-Snottling
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Person238

Location : Operations center of a Random Lol Generator somewhere in texas

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Large part why is cause so few people wanted to download a bunch of semi-official complications to their comp...-.- couldnt resist the temptation to repeat my NEIN battlecry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rapid55

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:05 am

Huh, a relief!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:25 am

Snottling wrote:
Yes, there will be no CEP.

-Snottling

Lol, whatever happened to the testing theory?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Death And Reaper

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:18 pm

I liked the extra stuff CEP has, but I've had to download it for other servers. Just the spare crafting stuff was fun, but I can't craft for crap on here anyways. Very Happy
However, this server isn't much for some of those extras, I think, despite how they do on other servers. It's just not the same, though I also loved some of the cutom weapons. (Heavy mace and the like.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Yeah like I said before, it's completely on how you implement it.Me personally from a builders standpoint love the realism and depth it adds.To be honest, building in the normal spectrum of the toolset w/o haks after having been building for years gets kinda boring.Also it leaves alot to be desired.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:22 am

*BUMP*

Really... what is so bad about CEP? Could make it more interesting, as per Tearing the Weave's comments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
operationblade
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:24 am

The problem i had when introducing CEP to DD before it was redone again, is alot of people didnt like the change, yes it can offer a more visual stunning look, i had some great fun with it, and it can bring in new aspects of RP visual wise and just look generaly great. But some people just dont like it, i have CEP installed myself havent uninstalled so it really wouldnt bother me either way. The only think i think it could do harm is by making it more difficult for drawing in new players, although CEP is widely used there is also a number of versions of it out, correct me if wrong on this but i dont think CEP is backwards compatiable if you have the latest version i dont think you can play older versions, But i could be wrong!

Therefore people who already have a different version OR people who dont have CEP at all will have to decide whether they want to download the correct CEP to just test DD out, find a different server without CEP, or the version they have. Also i know from one person who i have discuess within game he simply doesnt have anough space on his PC for CEP, heh. I personaly wouldnt want to lose players for an update saying that.

I also agree with deaths comment, the server isnt breaming with players, and it doesnt have a huge player base like Amia for example. So it doesnt need to have the fancy stuff. TSM was succefull with CEP however and i would say they are the one of the closest similar style servers to DD.

For my input of too CEP or not too CEP, i would say im not botherd either way. If it brings more players in and can help develop RP to that next level than sure sounds good. But if its gonna make us lose more players, than thats a big NO from me.

DaggerdaleRP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:38 am

BTW, I am not saying I want CEP for Dagger Dale, I am just curious about why some folks are so adamantly against it. Op-blade's response explains it well. A Person238 offered a reason as well... does that pretty much cover it: folks don't want to download a bunch of extra crap, it may make the player base even smaller, and all the flashy extras might just bog down the server and cause lag and/or crashing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snottling
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:17 pm

I always liked the fact that Daggerdale was hak-free. It makes the server accesable to all, which is good as we need more players. Furthermore, I'm not going over 285 areas just to add eye candy.
Then there's another thing and it's the most important one - the server hasn't crashed at all since mid April. Adding CEP might put an end to that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:54 pm

*nods* A fine response.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cerridwyn

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:15 pm

I am not for or against it. But I can say that the reason I come to DD is not for the flashy extras or "eye candy" as Snottling put it, but rather to be among the amazing players that make up our small but wonderful player base. Most people that stick around DD fit that description, if not all. I'd hate to see us lose future players just because they didn't want to take a chance and download something before playing. That being said, I agree with Operation Blade.

-Lovarke
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dregas Volar

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:49 pm

You want more players? I have a proposition for you, Snottling. I have 8-10 legit roleplayers behind me looking for a new server to play on. We may or may not stick to Daggerdale, but if you add CEP I can tell you that your chances of us staying interested are doubled. Adding CEP brings more players to the table, seeing as most servers already have CEP 2.2 added in and updated, downloading CEP takes about 2 hours with slow DSL and isn't a hassle at all to install.

The only reason we're particular on CEP is the customization. Not the flashy junk you're talking about, but the monsters, placables, armor, weapon, helm appearances. The option for unique player appearances. Without CEP we will look like copies of eachother. Annoys us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:09 pm

try that whole "imagination" thing and put in a bio or description to describe how you look and whatnot. DD has never 'needed' CEP nor does it now. DD is about the roleplayer and what -they- bring to the table. not what the table brings to them

The next time you're having a bad day, imagine this: You're a Siamese twin. Your brother, attached at your shoulder is gay. You're not. He has a date coming over today. But you have the only ass. Feel better now???

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dregas Volar

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Uh huh....Nevermind. We found a server that has CEP and brings everything yours does. Peace out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cerridwyn

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Wow, Dregas, way to make yourself out to be a pompous ass. I agree with whodatis, as I told you on the server. If you don't want to play on DD, it's your guys loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:00 am

*gulps*

I didn't wish to start a flame war, I was just interested in the whys and why nots of CEP preference. My *bump* was merely for discussion purposes, and many sides have been represented well (even Dregas, who made an interesting argument FOR CEP, you must admit).

Anywho... I was just wondering what folks' reasons were. That's all. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:14 am

My interest in CEP was , has and will ALWAYS continue to be the things it brings to the table from a builders standpoint.There are MANY ways to incorporate CEP without being flashy and/or ridiculous.That's just my opinion.I don't own the server so I can't say much other than having a preference for it.Like I said, from a builders standpoint just the multitude of placeables makes it worth it to me.I don't know about the rest of you but I kinda get bored looking at the same old original pallettes when I'm building.It has the dum duh dum been here done that, not much originality to be achieved anymore mindset for me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
operationblade
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:12 pm

i like the fact it opens out further customisation, lets look realistivly, it "can" bring a certain aspect more too RP but also i can agree with whodatis, DD has never needed CEP amd i dont think anyone has looked identical because they are RPed as a individual, that person makes them unique in there apperance. For example if bree and scarlet has identical heads and hair colour i would still see scarlet as a fearsome slightly twisted warrior with a wiked grin to her face, and than looking to bree somewhat more elgant and more gracefull. That though has been done by RP and not by how there char looks on my screen.

But i will agree with snottlings previous comments also, the server is running great, minimal crashes if any, and a generaly lag free server. Adding CEP would increase lag and too some loading times, thats not avoidable as the server has more to deal with, but how much it would effect and whether it would be noticable and too a hige effect is a different matter. Only actually doing it and testing it would give you a answer to that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Person238

Location : Operations center of a Random Lol Generator somewhere in texas

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:35 am

Just to ensure that The Weave doesnt appear as a group representative, I have been a builder for about as long as he had, and have consistantly foud new ways to use the old set longer than people can deal with the enhanced one. I say you can solve the problem of getting bored of the pallet if instead of concentrating on how to look stunning, how do you look...shocking! just pull off enough really well done areas and the only difference between that and cep is you can take credit for making do with it, not to mention it can be more fun that way, and thereby avoid all the issues with cep and still make your living.

One other thing that nobody has noticed is that when you add effects or special objects and areas, the game gets an action-servery feel to it. Cep was made so you could overdecorate an area enough that people dont notice that it actually was uninteresting before. DD is unique in that it is one of those elites that goes it's own way, and it would be a sad day indeed were it to follow the herd into the slaughterhouse known as abandonment.

Point being, once you imput that kind of custom content, the playerbase shifts from the open mind of some new player that doesnt like downloads to the kind of stuffy prick that goes to a server to see something shiny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rapid55

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:42 am

A Person238 wrote:
Just to ensure that The Weave doesnt appear as a group representative, I have been a builder for about as long as he had, and have consistantly foud new ways to use the old set longer than people can deal with the enhanced one. I say you can solve the problem of getting bored of the pallet if instead of concentrating on how to look stunning, how do you look...shocking! just pull off enough really well done areas and the only difference between that and cep is you can take credit for making do with it, not to mention it can be more fun that way, and thereby avoid all the issues with cep and still make your living.

One other thing that nobody has noticed is that when you add effects or special objects and areas, the game gets an action-servery feel to it. Cep was made so you could overdecorate an area enough that people dont notice that it actually was uninteresting before. DD is unique in that it is one of those elites that goes it's own way, and it would be a sad day indeed were it to follow the herd into the slaughterhouse known as abandonment.

Point being, once you imput that kind of custom content, the playerbase shifts from the open mind of some new player that doesnt like downloads to the kind of stuffy prick that goes to a server to see something shiny.
Amen to that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself   

Back to top Go down

NOOOOO!!! No cep I'll kill myself
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next