A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bashed Chests

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sack blabbith

PostSubject: Bashed Chests   Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:53 pm

There is nothing like succeeding on a nice dungeon crawl, slaying the foes, overcoming adversity, and narrowly escaping death.... only to find the largest chests in the treasure rooms gone. I wish folks would not bash chests. It makes it much less fun. Or, I wish that treasure containers would respawn. Or, I wish, if one did bash a chest, it would yield nothing but plank wood. Or, ideally, I wish that the boss chests were all laced with deadly electrical traps so if one did attempt to bash them... well... ZAPPO!

Or perhaps more frequent resets?

I dunno... it just seems like many treasure containers have been missing as of late.

*Rant complete* geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:08 pm

The chests do have a good chance to spawn lesser loot when bashed. Regrettably, there isn't much to be done for it. It's what a fighter (read fool) would do when they get to the end. We can see about the reset thingie. Other than that...sorry mate.

The next time you're having a bad day, imagine this: You're a Siamese twin. Your brother, attached at your shoulder is gay. You're not. He has a date coming over today. But you have the only ass. Feel better now???

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Death And Reaper

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:29 pm

I've played where the strength check was used to bash the lock of a chest- which was only temporary, and didn't destroy the chest. Maybe use that, but tell it to keep a damage counter instead of strength? That way, the chest wouldn't go boom, and everyone would be happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rapid55

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:23 am

Death And Reaper wrote:
I've played where the strength check was used to bash the lock of a chest- which was only temporary, and didn't destroy the chest. Maybe use that, but tell it to keep a damage counter instead of strength? That way, the chest wouldn't go boom, and everyone would be happy.
If you make a container plot (non-destroyable), you can't use the damage counter. If you, instead, just set the chests HP to max (I think it's 5000), it'd brake eventually.

I myself think it's good as it is, if it just was reseted daily. Right now, though, the server's been up without a single reset for days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:01 am

Resetting daily isn't reasonable either. Think of it as a persistent world. You shouldn't be able to hit the kobolds up for loot every day.

The next time you're having a bad day, imagine this: You're a Siamese twin. Your brother, attached at your shoulder is gay. You're not. He has a date coming over today. But you have the only ass. Feel better now???

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:19 pm

Perhaps so, but at lower level w/o a reset what is a low level pc to do? Of course rp is the answer but if no one else is on or somebody who plays for the adventure aspect it sucks.A daily reset imo is definitely a good idea.I know being a heavy rp server that is the purpose but lest we forget it IS ONLY A GAME and realism is NOT totally achievable.No matter how hard we strive to make this like pnp it never will be.A video game is and always will be a video game.As for sack, you slay the beasts and you narrowly escape....is that not fun? Why would not finding a kick ass chest make it less fun? Yes I understand the whole I won now gimme feeling but honestly ....loot comes and goes.I like the busted chests....keeps the freebooters from doing the same thing over and over again...Alas I ramble..lol see you guys Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:44 pm

Tearing the Weave wrote:
As for sack, you slay the beasts and you narrowly escape....is that not fun? Why would not finding a kick ass chest make it less fun? Yes I understand the whole I won now gimme feeling but honestly ....loot comes and goes.I like the busted chests....keeps the freebooters from doing the same thing over and over again...Alas I ramble..lol see you guys Smile

Yes, good point (And, you aren't rambling). BUT, it can be ~more~ fun when there actually is a nice chest to open. And I am not sure how busted chests stop freebooters from doing the same thing over and over. One can only find loot in a container once per server re-set.

And I know what Reaper is talking about. When someone bashed at a chest it "unlocked" eventually, and did not explode in a cloud of dust. I believe Tales of the Silver Marches used that. BUT, that also made rogues even less needed than they are now.

Let me just say, this wasn't meant to be a "bitchy" post or anything. Actually, it was more of a playful poke at couple folks who I have already scolded, OCC, in game once or twice. It was also me feeling sorry for myself at not having too many solo options with Jimmie (and yes, we have all soloed when other options are not available) and finding busted chests galore. I really don't have too much to complain about....

I STILL hate busted chests. HATE EM! tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Death And Reaper

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Tearing the Weave wrote:
I know being a heavy rp server that is the purpose but lest we forget it IS ONLY A GAME and realism is NOT totally achievable.

*Gasp* Exactly why I'm not playing atm. Not much consideration has been thrown around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Personally, I'd like to see chests unbashable at all. It would make rogues or mages with a knock spell important.

That said, there are plenty of new areas to explore as Josh and Snot have been busy building. People caught in the same areas all the time risk being outed as "farmers" and endangering their ToD. Too many times I log in and see 4-7 people on and hardly any together. It always makes me happy when I see someone sitting by the inn waiting to RP with someone rather than log in and rush out to get XPs. Ive seen several instances when people dont even give a nod or hello when passing other players. But that's a whole other thing.

Please people, be nice to poor old Jimmy and let him open everything. Wink There, happy now, sack? geek

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:22 pm

whodatis? wrote:

Please people, be nice to poor old Jimmy and let him open everything. Wink There, happy now, sack? geek

Lol..... JERK! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear_Den
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Agreed, It is frustrating to venture into a dungeon and brave dire situations only to find that some chests that normally would be there but aren't.

Wouldn't it be equally frustrating for a fighter or the like to go into the same place and not be able to have a chance at the main treasure because the chests are locked and unbreakable?

Of course, Party up with a rogue or mage with knock if at all possible. What do you do when no one with those skills are on? Or they do not want to party up?

It is just something we all have to put up with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Bear_Den wrote:

Wouldn't it be equally frustrating for a fighter or the like to go into the same place and not be able to have a chance at the main treasure because the chests are locked and unbreakable?

It is just something we all have to put up with.

Agreed.

I wonder, since Jimmie is often on, would it be possible to wave the "5 level" rule if a party of lower-level characters wanted to hire him to tag along, open containers and scout for traps. He would gladly do so, for a small fee, of course. And, it could even be RPed that he would NOT open any containers (the other players may not trust him more than just to work locks and traps) so the item level would not run the risk of being unbalanced.

Or perhaps I will just make another rogue to play with lower levels.

Again... bashed chests.... HATE EM! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear_Den
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:51 pm

lol, Me too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snottling
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Well, all of you are making good points, and I'll do a dayly reset to keep you all happy. Razz
As far as the server running for days, it was me being curious wanting to see how long it would run without a reset. 95 hours is the longest, but I understand the bashed chests have to be replaced at some point, so I promise to reset it once per day. Smile

-Snottling
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 pm

I would think that if you were going into those lower level areas there wouldnt be an issue. Just go along in one capacity and that's it. You and they should know, of course, that you will impact their spawn and so they might die. But that's on them if they wish to "hire" Jimmie. I don't have an issue with it at all.

As for the resetting everyday, I would say every 36-48 hours. Let some time pass to "make" people go other places. So I would again say every day and a half to two days.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
operationblade
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:22 am

Being one of the biggest Chest bashes hehe, thought id put my 2 cents in Razz

I agree after doing a good dungeon crawl everyone likes to have some kind of reward for there effort, countless times i can go through a dungeon and find 1 of 2 things.

1. Locked Chests! *Zorac looks at the locked chest grabs his axe and bashes the lock till it goes flying off*

2. The chests are no where to be seen! *Zorak after decapitating the ruler of "which ever dungeon it may be if theres a boss" goes to claim his reward for the victory in battle only to find nothing. HE grabs the leaders head and bashes it repeativly till he calms down and walks out the cave*

Now for RP ive always and im pretty sure most people RP bashing the lock. Which with the right stength should be achieveable.
BUT there should also be a limit. and thats easly achievable within scripting by working out exactly how much str is needed to open the lock depending on DC.

Heres a VERY basic example of how the script would work, this is just a suggestion and i havent done it in perfect coding becuase i havent done scripting in a while and also so people could see also what its doing.

This would need to be put on the locked item for On Hit script.

Example:

Code:

Lock Bash DC = (number set for object in question)
20+Str Modifier = Maximun Str Roll

(if)

Maximun Str Roll < Lock Bash DC (than) Auto Message (Bashing this lock will never be achieveable)

(or if)

Maximun Str Roll > Lock DC (than) do next part of script;

STR Roll + Modifier = Bash Lock Roll

(if)

Bash Lock Roll < Lock Bash DC = Fail to open

(if)

Bash Lock Roll> Lock Bash DC = Success to open (than) Auto Message (You succesfully manage to bash open the lock)

That was a very basic example of how it could go, thats more of a skeleton of how the code would go, i will make the real thing up and post for those interested.

sack blabbith wrote:

And I know what Reaper is talking about. When someone bashed at a chest it "unlocked" eventually, and did not explode in a cloud of dust. I believe Tales of the Silver Marches used that. BUT, that also made rogues even less needed than they are now.

Personaly i see a big difference between TSM and DD, having played both i do agree rogues were less needed there for this reason, but this is becuase this was made that way due to the players of TSM. I think people here would agree that DD is happy to bring anyone into there party no matter what class they are. I personaly wont refuse anyone no matter what there class unless within RP Zorak would not accept them, for example. Hes not going to let someone whos blatenly a zhent come with him. Anyways back to the point i dont think anyone here would not accept within RP to not bring someone like jimmie along. Zorak would not go i can just bash the chests i dont need a rogue, why make himself more work when he can have the little hin do it for him, i dont feel aswell anyone else would say no to others coming just because they know OOC they can just bash any chests there gonna find. We are of course a RP server so i would hope not anyways. Razz

Personaly i dont mind much whether it would get changed or not, Zorak will always bash open a chest if he could, its just the way his RP would go. So sorry too poor jimmie Sad Razz

Anyways just some ideas im gonna see if i can make or find the script for my own personal fun heh. Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
operationblade
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:29 am

Code:
void main()
{
    object oAttacker=GetLastAttacker();
    int unlockDC=GetLockUnlockDC(OBJECT_SELF)-7; //in this example the number is 7 it can be alterd to increase or decrease difficulty
    int abilitymod=GetAbilityModifier(ABILITY_STRENGTH, oAttacker);
    int roll=d20();
    int result=roll+abilitymod;
    string sRoll=IntToString(roll);
    string sRank=IntToString(abilitymod);
    string sResult=IntToString(result);
    AssignCommand( oAttacker, SpeakString("Strength Check, Roll: "+sRoll+" Modifier: "+sRank+" = "+sResult));
    if(result > unlockDC)
    {
        SetLocked(OBJECT_SELF, FALSE);
        ActionOpenDoor(OBJECT_SELF);
        SpeakString("You forced the Lock open.");
    }
    else
    {
        SpeakString("You failed to force the Lock open.");
    }
}

For those iterested this is a code im working with.

Firstly the script determines the Lock DC, than as the player attacks it does a DC 20 roll and adds with the strengths modifier. The script than works out whether it is success or not and the appropiate result is given.

Also the locks and doors are on timers with this further script:

Code:
void main()
{
    ActionWait(600.0);  //wait 10 Minutes, then close and relock the door.
    ActionCloseDoor(OBJECT_SELF); //If the door is closed by hand it will also relock
    ActionWait(300.0);  //If the object is closed OR the object is script shut the lock will reset after 5 minutes.
    SetLocked(OBJECT_SELF, TRUE);
}

This allows doors to self shut after 10 minutes and upon that the object in question begins the timer for the lock to also reset. So within 15 minutes of leaving the object, it becomes shut and relocked. This ca of course be adjusted to how it is wanted too.

Was just for those interested though Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Just an fyi, you do need a certain strength to break chests and some aren't breakable at all. That said, magic or elemental damage does go through. Sadly, with the plethora of magic weapons everyone has, this isn't an issue. I would still be strongly against chests that don't break. When you swing an axe at a chest, hitting the lock would be very fine work and you wouldn't be able to put all of that uber strength into the blow. Just a thought.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Death And Reaper

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:25 pm

I prefer damage over strength if they have to be broken. Some of us aren't fighters -or- rogues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:28 pm

I think your lightning storm does a groovy job in destroying them Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
operationblade
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:04 pm

There is a way of preventing damage with magical weapons im sure. If the object is made plot it is understroyable. for acruacy of hitting the lock, that could also be easly made more realistic with a dex roll also for acruacy. This could also open further options of if player hits the chest but misses the lock too many times than the chest is destroyed, that is also possible. Im just offereing ideas of course,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Interesting Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Wow.... I really was not expecting such an interesting conversation to stem from my original post. I also do not wish to cause, or instigate, any scripting headaches or major changes to DD, as I like it 99.9% as is. The .01% is due to those damned bashed chests! HATE EM!

I mean, if my ONE major complaint about the server is a result of a few bashed containers then that speaks well for DD, eh?

ROCK ON, mates! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bashed Chests   

Back to top Go down

Bashed Chests
Page 1 of 1