A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

To Kill a Blue Dwarf?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Miss Daisy

PostSubject: To Kill a Blue Dwarf?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:17 am

To whom it concerns!
My cousin & I recently bought NWN, because it was affordable & fun. We decided to give online play a try considering that we have played pen & paper D&D for over ten years now, & the game could give us a fix between game days. We logged on for our first time ever & chose Daggerdale as a server because we play D&D in the Forgotten Realms setting (right now we are in the border kingdoms). Now I'll admit that we joined the server, blew past the rules, went & caused havoc in the server. We basicly had a few hours to kill & wanted to give online a try....After our first charcters were imprisoned, we made new PC's & tried to adventure for awhile, to actually play the game instead of just messing up everyone elses fun. We started to enjoy the realm, and follow the rules while working on our roleplaying (which DM's have told us that they see dramatic improvements) Here is my problem! My cousin (Player: "DirtySloth") created a dwarf as a PC, as i said at the top "we blew by the rules" and he shaded his dwarfs skin & hair blue (a big no, no!) After playing his PC for countless hours & achieving 8th level a DM decided to Perma-Death his dwarf! Had this been done from 1st-3rd Level I'm sure there would have been no issues, & we could of started from scratch! But letting someone put that much time into leveling up, learning the rules, & developing relationships with other PC's only to kill him for a minor infraction is just plain CHEAP & shows lack of concern from a DM! As the DM for my D&D group once a week for over 10 years I've had to deal with more issues than one could on a computer game. A DM should notice & respect every players time & effort spent on their PC's (Because without them you have no one to DM over!) and work with them on PC issues!

If I as DM did not notice someone breaking the rules early enough to have them start over, It is my fault as DM & cant punish the player for my faults so I would try too work out the issue so my player does'nt suffer from a minor mistake!

Examples of how I would fix this problem (Blue Dwarf):

* Look to see if the player has noticed he might have broken a rule & see if he tried to explain it in charcter: Then I could notice the PC in question had been confronted about it by another PC, and came up with his own answer "Dye on his clothes bled through" now thats his answer, if I did'nt like that I could try my own ideas!*

*As a DM in the forgotten realms, I would no that not only do multiple dwarf types exist plenty of races as well, Maybe I could ask the player to treat is PC (since he's blue) as an aquatic, frost, or water/air elemental descendent. maybe his grand father was an Air Genasi, where the only trait passed down was skin tone*

*In a world of spells, curses, and diseases I could have the PC act as though he had a skin disease that he is ashamed of so he would be required to hide himself under a helmet & clothing at all times, or play his PC as though he was once captured by an evil mage that failed to turn him into an air elemental. Maybe his PC use to work at a dye mill & fell in a batch*

*Worse case, I would ask him to remake a dwarf, same name & all & assign him his levels back, maybe punish him, "Your items was taken by racist thugs because of your skin color"*

All & all, The original NWN is dying out, Daggerdale hardly ever has more then three players on, majority of the time it's us, I believe that as DM's you want people to enjoy & play your realm, but situations like this will prevent that from happening! Do we wanna get on & start all over? No! If you are good DM's you would fix the issue in order to keep players & gain the attention of new ones. Would I recommend Daggerdale to my other two buddies who have NWN & are going to start playing online! Would have before, but at the present time, I debate it myself so why would I recommend other players!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Kill a Blue Dwarf?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:04 am

While putting a perma dead token on the dwarf without talking to them is a bit harsh, I would have to take umbrage with what you say. I remember when you and your cousin first came to the server and the flagrant disregard you had for anything the staff had to say as well as the rules. As you said, you were the ones that ignored the rules. It says right all over the place that when you enter the world, you have read and accept the rules. As for the staff not noticing it before, as it has been said in other areas, this time of year always lags out due to peole having families and taking the time to see and enjoy them. When the dwarf in question was noticed, it was brought up and discussed on the DM forums. The very notion that it is somehow the DM's fault that you missed the rule is ludicrous in and of itself. Every other player that has come to the server and made the same mistake has been told they needed to remake the character regardless of the level they had attained.

As far as exotic races or different types of dwarves, let me say this: they are not allowed on the server. Something else that is right there in the rules.

As the DM for my D&D group once a week for over 10 years I've had to deal with more issues than one could on a computer game. A DM should notice & respect every players time & effort spent on their PC's (Because without them you have no one to DM over!) and work with them on PC issues!

After the massive hassle I went through the first time with you and your cousin, for you to bring up how WE need to respect you when you had none for US OR OUR OTHER PLAYERS...I have no words for it. If you have such massive experience DMing, then I should think that you would take responsibility for your own errors and mistakes and move on. As I tried to tell you when you were locked up, you are more than welcome to play on the server and be a part of our community, but it is incumbent upon you to know the rules and abide by them. Respect is earned, not given. We expect the same from the players.

The player is more than welcome to remake the character with the same name and therefore know the same people and have the same relationships. But it is not necessarily the staffs responsibility to give things back to the players. In all honesty, speaking only for myself, I would have been alot more open to give levels back if I did not have that first hand experience in trying to deal with you when you first came to the server.

**For the record, I did not kill off said blue dwarf, so please don't go there**

The next time you're having a bad day, imagine this: You're a Siamese twin. Your brother, attached at your shoulder is gay. You're not. He has a date coming over today. But you have the only ass. Feel better now???

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Miss Daisy

PostSubject: Re: To Kill a Blue Dwarf?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:31 am

I understand your case & respect it, we have made large strides to respect the rules, he spent one whole day reading the rules & from that point on we have dropped our agenda, I even made my case to the lord about the imprisoned PC's, not to really free them, but to get that part of our charcters out of the way. It was at that point that we felt like S#@t heads for or flagrent disrespect of your rules & players so as D&D players we felt we owed you the respect to follow your rules & quit harassing players, and just play! We debated restarting PC's because of his color, but had no DM notify us so we figured this was'nt a major concern, assumed you was just happy to have us picking up the rules and following them!

*As a DM & long time player, I cannot apologize to your staff & players enough...I was an ASS, we both were!...If I could take it back I would! Rookie mistake!*

I mean no insult in my post's, just don't wanna see all of our time, or yours go down the drain! I do wish we could negotiate a way to get his PC back, but playing that many hours doing the same story we have already been through, does'nt seem entertaining (thats alot of work ya know)

Either way, We sincerly apologize & hope you give some fools a second chance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: To Kill a Blue Dwarf?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:59 pm

I was the DM who perma d'd said dwarf. I however did post on the DM forums for input regarding the rules violation. Had I seen the Kimli at an earlier time I would have told him the coloring etc. was illegal. HOWEVER...before I gave the perma token I explained to him what the rules stated and that HE COULD REMAKE the dwarf and I would re-level him but NOT give any items back. I believe this was a fair reprieve. The offer still stands. I in no way over stepped my authority or did it unfairly. I was polite in my explanations, nor did I act rudely,argue or belittle DirtySloth in any manner. I am sorry he did not peruse the rules before creation but that is an over sight on his part not mine. I hope you guys do enjoy the server and decide to give it another shot. If he'd like to remake the dwarf let me know. Thanks and good day. -Mists

Side Note: As for the perma d token it was given so the pc would not be tempted to continue playing the dwarf after I had logged off or there were not any DM's on. I did this to prevent Sloth from getting himself into more trouble by continuing to play the dwarf so I removed the temptation by making the dwarf unplayable.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Miss Daisy

PostSubject: Re: To Kill a Blue Dwarf?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:16 pm

I see, he said he logged on to the other dwarf to try to talk with you, no biggy...I will notify him that he can remake the dwarf & recieve his old levels, & I am sure that the lost items will serve as punishment enough!

Thank you for your cooperation, & I hope we will cause you no further issues!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Kill a Blue Dwarf?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Sounds like things were handled well enough. Folks are happy. Play on, topic closed.

The next time you're having a bad day, imagine this: You're a Siamese twin. Your brother, attached at your shoulder is gay. You're not. He has a date coming over today. But you have the only ass. Feel better now???

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Kill a Blue Dwarf?   

Back to top Go down

To Kill a Blue Dwarf?
Page 1 of 1