A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Areas

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Preddy

PostSubject: Areas   Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:56 am

Hey I was wondering if it was possible to get a list of what level PC's areas on the server are intended for, it was mentioned on the updates that new areas were intended for 8-12, but i havent been able to find anything for older areas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whodatis?
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Areas   Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:41 am

That would take the fun out of it. Smile My suggestion would be to strike a conversation IC and see what people tell you.

The next time you're having a bad day, imagine this: You're a Siamese twin. Your brother, attached at your shoulder is gay. You're not. He has a date coming over today. But you have the only ass. Feel better now???

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Q-2
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Areas   Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:13 am

Most players who played on DD-before and DD-now know which areas are for which levels and for how many people if you are partying.

Try to find them in-game... asking IC will also give your character a reason to visit or not visit certain areas without meta-gaming when reaching a Trollcave at lvl 7.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kostchtchie

PostSubject: Re: Areas   Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:16 am

Good advice, but maybe I'll chime in with some more definitive answers.

For starters, there are many areas that are not known to every player. Many of these locations are found only in very remote places that are sometimes difficult to reach. Broadcasting any details of these places would only verify their existence and potentially spoil the experience for players who prefer to discover them on their own or through in-character interactions, which anyone worth their ToD will generally agree as the preferred method. But you can be assured that these 'hidden' areas are aimed mostly for groups of experienced players and high-level characters.

The more common areas that are widely known to most players are generally designed for most low- to mid-level characters. The problem with the initial designs of the mod, however, is that the encounters for most areas continue to scale well past their intended marks, providing challenges for a much wider range of character levels. The crypts beneath Dagger Falls, for example, provides an excellent training ground for beginning and low-level characters on the first floor, but can still challenge an average party of 8th-level characters throughout the entire dungeon. Low level characters may suddenly find themselves overpowered at the next encounter when a group of higher level characters enter the area to begin making their way towards the lower regions. Its a poor design as it is, but perhaps it can be addressed at some point when there's less important issues to resolve.

Back on topic, target levels are not generally announced for a number of reasons. First and foremost, players should be able to determine which areas are right for their characters by listening to what the mod tells them. If you see that you are recieving little or no xp for killing most of the things in a dungeon, that's a very good sign that you're not being challenged at all (and if you are, then the rewards are not really worth the risk). Sometimes you just have to dive into the water before you know whether you'll sink or swim; that's why it's always best to travel with others, especially into new places.

Second, nobody wants to sit around and direct traffic. Despite what anyone may think, DMs do not want to have to tell people where they should and shouldn't go. The mod should do that naturally as explained above. If levels get attached to every area, then people begin to think in terms of limits: "You need to be level 'x-y' to play here." I would much rather avoid encouraging that kind of mentality and allow players to act like adults by letting them decide for themselves whether they should be playing in a certain area. Trust me when I tell you that it is VERY easy to spot the others. (And this is why things like ToDs come into play...)

Finally, and I think I touched on this already, the challenges can also vary between different players, even with the same level characters. Better magic items, experience as a player, party compositions, and character builds can greatly influence the effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) of a person's experience in the game. A group of three skilled players with strong characters can succeed where a group of six less-experienced players and mediocre characters of higher levels can struggle, which makes recommending levels a moot point.

That said, when new areas are introduced, giving a level range is more of a "heads up" call than anything else. Most players should already have a feel for the areas that they're already familiar with in the mod. Adding new areas is a big announcement and letting players know about it should be a big deal. But at the same time, you don't want to see characters get killed because players get too anxious to explore a newly discovered area. In truth, the suggested levels is nothing more than a safe guess since the areas haven't been playtested yet. So it's possible that lower-level parties may be able to challenge the new dungeons successfully, and higher-level characters can still find enough challenge and reward later on. Only time will tell... oh, and the mod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Preddy

PostSubject: Re: Areas   Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:12 am

Thanks guys, will keep all that in mind.
To the ogres!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Areas   

Back to top Go down

Areas
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Daggerdale 2 :: Out of Character Forum :: Questions-
Jump to: