Daggerdale 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

An old player returns...sortof

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DunmoresMaster

An old player returns...sortof Empty
PostSubject: An old player returns...sortof   An old player returns...sortof I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi there all you old and new daggerdalers! I used to play back on doly's server forever ago, and was very surprised to see this forum in a random google search. After having played nwn2 (and hating it) I'm sorely tempted to dust off my old cds and come back to that wonderful nostalgic place that provided me with hours of entertainment at the cost of a countless hours of my life. Rolling Eyes Anyway, I gotta get a new video card first... I fried mine trying to change Direct X (There's a reason they tell you not to touch that folks!) but that should be fixed shortly... I DO however, have some questions!!

1) Is this exactly like the old dd? Whats changed?
--While I will be more than content if this is the same old dd I knew and loved part of me is hoping for improvements. For one... while I did enjoy the server very much I was eventually drawn away to other more dynamic servers like Erithorn's Might. One of the few criticisms I could give about the old dd was that it was static... nothing ever changed, and I really did enjoy servers that had a world changing around them. It helped with immersion for pcs, and helped players feel like their actions had real, lasting consequences in the world around them. (They felt right too!) A dynamic element allows for very memorable times. Like when my character travelled with a small band of adventurers through the innards of a massive, horrible, alien god that was hellbent on destroying the world around them in a desperate attempt to cast a long forgotten ritual to undo the taint it had spread, or when I found a cursed artifact blade that I couldn't get rid of... it was sentient too! Granted, I don't expect uber epic things, but even small changes can be really fun!

2) Loot
--I want to ask this as sensitively as I can, because from what I've seen in earlier threads there may have been some frustration/bad blood over this before, but... have the old daggerdale loot tables been nerfed, or were they previously better, and restored to their normal setting? My memories of DD's loot system was love and hate, risking life and limb for trash loot was vexing, but when you made that big find, that rod of absorption or that +4 int helm you were ecstatic! Having magic items on DD really meant something, but I hope it isn't even more difficult to find them now. (I really feel they were hard enough to find as it was)

3) What sort of player conduct do you expect?
--I know some of you may point me in the direction of the server rules, but I'm hoping for some additional clarification. I for one... remember certain dms that had a distaste for characters that soloed, (or at least I and many others were led to think that way) and other dms that had a penchant for dropping ub3r spawns and nuking parties if they thought they were doing too well in an encounter. (I was told this by the dm when it happened) Now... I do understand that farming or grinding can be a frustrating thing for dms, and I wholly agree that players should be discouraged from doing it via a tell, or in the case of repeated offenses some 'tougher' spawns dropped in to get the point across seems fine so don't think that by any way I'm trying to justify any of that. But while sometimes, I'll play team players, there are other times I like to play loner characters, that just... go out and do their own thing, it makes for even more rewarding experiences when you happen to catch someone randomly in your travels. Is that frowned upon here? I guess I'm just trying to find out what the dm's take here is regarding player conduct with adventuring and the like, whats considered over the line with you guys and gals? How much is too much? Sometimes, I felt a little... I dunno, confused with some of the dm conduct back in the past. Maybe it was a different dm style, but for the record! I much rather prefer dm interaction to be in the form of roleplay... not butt tons of spawns without any infer-able rhyme or reason that leave me wondering if I've done something wrong. If I'm the only person on the server and killing stuff please rp with me! We'll have fun! I mean, I do rp, quite a bit, and never avoid it without reason, and even then I try to explain why in a polite tell, but at the same time one of the most rewarding aspects of dnd for me is getting out there, killing monsters, and watching your character become more powerful. Sometimes I'll hang out in town if I want to rp, sometimes I'd rather hack a monster apart. Is that okay?

More questions will be posted as they come....
Also... free candy to anyone that managed to read through this whole thread.
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: An old player returns...sortof   An old player returns...sortof I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 11:22 pm

Since I am the new admin as recently as yesterday lol..I will address this for you point by point as each admin has their own atmosphere they like to establish but being as it's 1:30 a.m. here and I have to get up in a few hours to take my little girl to school I'll do it later today. Thanks for your interest!
Back to top Go down
Death And Reaper

Death And Reaper

PostSubject: Re: An old player returns...sortof   An old player returns...sortof I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Loot- about the same now, I think. That or its been toned down just a little bit. Layout is much the same, though a few things have been moved, connected, and some others have been added. As for DM conduct, I don't want to comment on that, as I've got a rather negative view of some of the DMing on any server I've ever played on- I tend to remember, like most people, bad experiences rather than good.
Back to top Go down
Raland

Raland

PostSubject: Re: An old player returns...sortof   An old player returns...sortof I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 6:01 pm

I think the DMs are great personally, even if when I am active I argue with them excessively =D
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: An old player returns...sortof   An old player returns...sortof I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 5:32 pm

DunmoresMaster wrote:
Hi there all you old and new daggerdalers! I used to play back on doly's server forever ago, and was very surprised to see this forum in a random google search. After having played nwn2 (and hating it) I'm sorely tempted to dust off my old cds and come back to that wonderful nostalgic place that provided me with hours of entertainment at the cost of a countless hours of my life. Rolling Eyes Anyway, I gotta get a new video card first... I fried mine trying to change Direct X (There's a reason they tell you not to touch that folks!) but that should be fixed shortly... I DO however, have some questions!!

1) Is this exactly like the old dd?

No, most of the topography of the maps has changed to reflect a more accurate p-n-p map of the Dale.There are several new areas as well.Some other things have been tweaked but almost all of the original scripting remains in place.The loot was upped a bit and needs to addressed once again.Not immediately but in the foreseeable future I'd like to add a couple of more factions and some more pc housing as well as some more quests for various levels.There are some new quests already implemented besides the original quests that were in the module.

Whats changed?
--While I will be more than content if this is the same old dd I knew and loved part of me is hoping for improvements. For one... while I did enjoy the server very much I was eventually drawn away to other more dynamic servers like Erithorn's Might. One of the few criticisms I could give about the old dd was that it was static... nothing ever changed, and I really did enjoy servers that had a world changing around them. It helped with immersion for pcs, and helped players feel like their actions had real, lasting consequences in the world around them. (They felt right too!) A dynamic element allows for very memorable times. Like when my character travelled with a small band of adventurers through the innards of a massive, horrible, alien god that was hellbent on destroying the world around them in a desperate attempt to cast a long forgotten ritual to undo the taint it had spread, or when I found a cursed artifact blade that I couldn't get rid of... it was sentient too! Granted, I don't expect uber epic things, but even small changes can be really fun!

2) Loot
--I want to ask this as sensitively as I can, because from what I've seen in earlier threads there may have been some frustration/bad blood over this before, but... have the old daggerdale loot tables been nerfed, or were they previously better, and restored to their normal setting? My memories of DD's loot system was love and hate, risking life and limb for trash loot was vexing, but when you made that big find, that rod of absorption or that +4 int helm you were ecstatic! Having magic items on DD really meant something, but I hope it isn't even more difficult to find them now. (I really feel they were hard enough to find as it was)

3) What sort of player conduct do you expect?

High rp standards have always been a strength of the module and I will continue to pursue that goal and expect the players to hold up their end as well.Respecting the staff is expected.Being inappropriately vulgar and obnoxious will have the offender on thin ice rather quickly if not altogether banned.Realism and staying ic as much as possible is always a good thing as well.I'm really rather lax on lotsa things but I expect the players to be mature enough to police their own behavior and know right from wrong and make choices based on common sense.

--I know some of you may point me in the direction of the server rules, but I'm hoping for some additional clarification. I for one... remember certain dms that had a distaste for characters that soloed, (or at least I and many others were led to think that way) and other dms that had a penchant for dropping ub3r spawns and nuking parties if they thought they were doing too well in an encounter. (I was told this by the dm when it happened) Now... I do understand that farming or grinding can be a frustrating thing for dms, and I wholly agree that players should be discouraged from doing it via a tell, or in the case of repeated offenses some 'tougher' spawns dropped in to get the point across seems fine so don't think that by any way I'm trying to justify any of that. But while sometimes, I'll play team players, there are other times I like to play loner characters, that just... go out and do their own thing, it makes for even more rewarding experiences when you happen to catch someone randomly in your travels. Is that frowned upon here? I guess I'm just trying to find out what the dm's take here is regarding player conduct with adventuring and the like, whats considered over the line with you guys and gals? How much is too much? Sometimes, I felt a little... I dunno, confused with some of the dm conduct back in the past. Maybe it was a different dm style, but for the record! I much rather prefer dm interaction to be in the form of roleplay... not butt tons of spawns without any infer-able rhyme or reason that leave me wondering if I've done something wrong. If I'm the only person on the server and killing stuff please rp with me! We'll have fun! I mean, I do rp, quite a bit, and never avoid it without reason, and even then I try to explain why in a polite tell, but at the same time one of the most rewarding aspects of dnd for me is getting out there, killing monsters, and watching your character become more powerful. Sometimes I'll hang out in town if I want to rp, sometimes I'd rather hack a monster apart. Is that okay?

Soloing is fine, just remember we work on a ToD system and soloing doesn't give us the staff much idea of the pc's rp or intentions which will make achieving ToD status much harder.Always remember...emoting is ALWAYS good.I hope I answered your questions and my apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

More questions will be posted as they come....
Also... free candy to anyone that managed to read through this whole thread.
Back to top Go down
DunmoresMaster

PostSubject: Re: An old player returns...sortof   An old player returns...sortof I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 7:33 pm

Those answers are all very reasonable, particularly the part that leaves some things to the player's judgment and personal responsibility. I can't wait until the new Daggerdale shows up on the server list, and I'll be sure to bring along other players I know that still goof off on this ancient game. Thanks for answering my questions. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: An old player returns...sortof   An old player returns...sortof I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:09 am

No problem Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An old player returns...sortof   An old player returns...sortof I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An old player returns...sortof
Page 1 of 1