Daggerdale 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Server crashes and sadness

Go down 
+8
Tearing the Weave
E
Venerate One
Q-2
Bear_Den
FederOnline
whodatis?
sack blabbith
12 posters
AuthorMessage
sack blabbith

sack blabbith

Server crashes and sadness Empty
PostSubject: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Ahhh... how all these frequent crashes remind me of the days when Daggerdale under Doly used to crash a lot, especially near the end of its run. This is not nostalgia, mind you, but frustration. I love playing here, and all the crashes make it difficult to get things going sometimes.

Now, I understand that there are things that may be out of your hands, admins, developers, and builders, but what is the problem? Is it a technical thing, like you need some new hardware? If that is the case, perhaps you could put out a call for some donations from players to help you upgrade. I would be more than willing to send a few bucks to you to help ensure the smooth maintenance of the server. If 10-20 players put $10 (Euros, Pesos, whatever the hell other currency is floating out there) in an envelope and sent it out, would that help?

This is not a "complaint" as much as it is a concern and an offer. I know you all put in TONS of time doing what you need to do to run the server, and you do it all for free. The players reap the reward by being able to play this wonderful server... for free! Since I am unable to help with the technical side of things, I would like to help with the financial side, if help is needed. I would be willing to bet that there are others who would do the same. Would a few anonymous donations, with no preferential treatment given to those who donate and no negative repercussions for those who do not, help?

A long winded post, I know. My way of saying thanks, and can I help.

See ya in game!
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 2:04 pm

In all honesty, we don't have a nailed down problem. The server computer has plenty of RAM. We already went out and upgraded it. And the only thing that computer does is run the server. From what I've been able to glean from others, its the NWServer program itself that is unreliable. There are times when the server is up for days, magic spells and all. And then there are times when it just goes ka-blooey for no reason whatsoever.

If the players wished to do that, I wouldn't argue with them. I would say, however, that the computer was put together by someone who knows the stupid things well and deals with them for a living. (No, I am NOT talking about me afro ) I understand your frustration as well.
Back to top Go down
FederOnline

FederOnline

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 2:44 pm

There are two issues being looked at: OnExit Cleanup Scripts losing their mind, and unhandled OnExit Events (i.e. do the events stack up when people leave areas that do not need to be "cleaned up" and then explode into server crashes when they do get handled).

These will be addressed AFTER the BIG update...hopefully 1-2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FederOnline.net
Bear_Den
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Sorry guys. It happened when Thorgrim was trying to pull his steel boot out of a Hillie Warriors butt after he finished kicking it.
Back to top Go down
FederOnline

FederOnline

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:26 pm

Bear_Den wrote:
Sorry guys. It happened when Thorgrim was trying to pull his steel boot out of a Hillie Warriors butt after he finished kicking it.

What area were you in, and what area had you last left before it vapor-locked??

And do you know about how long it was between you leaving the last area and the vapor-lock??

Thanks.
Kurt.
Back to top Go down
Bear_Den
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 pm

I was just about to kick the hillie chieftans butts. So that would be in the last chamber in the lower level.

About 20 minutes since I transitioned down there.

Could it be that multiple creatures are trying to spawn on top of each other in the same waypoint pin? Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
sack blabbith

sack blabbith

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 10:16 pm

I have been noticing a lot of monster corpses lying around with things like bullets, arrows, and maybe a gold piece or two. How long do corpses remain if they have a loot drop? And, could that also clutter up the server and make it work harder?
Back to top Go down
FederOnline

FederOnline

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:50 am

sack blabbith wrote:
I have been noticing a lot of monster corpses lying around with things like bullets, arrows, and maybe a gold piece or two. How long do corpses remain if they have a loot drop? And, could that also clutter up the server and make it work harder?

I noticed that too when I was "testing" in the Kobold Lair...every object takes memory. If everyone leaves an area and there are corpses with gear, the gear (and corpses) need to go away.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Q-2
DM
DM
Q-2

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 4:47 am

It might also happen more due to the 50-100 placeables and such we keep adding to DF in order to display the 'destruction' there, yet another load of objects that take memory. So far I have not been experimenting with timestops and such.....yet
Back to top Go down
Venerate One
DM
DM
Venerate One

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:38 am

Didnt I already raise this point? :p
Back to top Go down
Q-2
DM
DM
Q-2

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:53 am

Venerate One wrote:

And yet we keep raising the rubble.... lame pun, oh I know I know.. it's the best I can do though Crying or Very sad

But before sidetracking......! I am sure that will be fixed in recent updates.

One other question to whodatis;

"Is the machine running the server Linux? Or Windows? Or mac? Cause if it was windows, and it isn't used for anything else, linux might just be the solution, about 100x more stable in things like this"
Back to top Go down
FederOnline

FederOnline

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 9:42 am

Q-2 wrote:
Venerate One wrote:
"Is the machine running the server Linux? Or Windows? Or mac? Cause if it was windows, and it isn't used for anything else, linux might just be the solution, about 100x more stable in things like this"

I moved my reply to this "Test Server" forum.
Back to top Go down
E

E

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 7:00 am

The ogres crashed the server!

It's a conspiracy!
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 8:49 am

*sulks* Two times now I have tried to play and both times I find I log onto a screen of infinite blackness as the server has yet again went kaplooey! Seems lately it's down more then it's up lol...WE MUST FIND THE CURE!
Back to top Go down
Shaikahn

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 10:53 am

*Offers his shoulders for all to cry on, letting a few tears escape his own eyes* Alas, the server was slain once again, i shall summon ye ole x-box 360, till the server can be raised yet once again!
Back to top Go down
Tripp

Tripp

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 11:03 am

*cough* Hooker... *cough* Up and down... *cough cough then clears his throat.* No doubt when there's a will, there's a way.
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 12:25 pm

Shaikahn wrote:
*Offers his shoulders for all to cry on, letting a few tears escape his own eyes* Alas, the server was slain once again, i shall summon ye ole x-box 360, till the server can be raised yet once again!

LOL Indeed..PS2 for me.
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Make that three times now lol.
Back to top Go down
A Person238

Location : Operations center of a Random Lol Generator somewhere in texas

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 6:05 pm

oddly enough the server even crashes when nobody is doing anything but sitting around talking...SOMEBODY NEEDS TO STOP TALKING SO LOUD MAYBE!?!?!?
Back to top Go down
A Person238

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 10:49 am

yea the server has been down all morning, if any dm's are on scanning the forums can you bring it up?
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Just kick them...works better sometimes :p
Back to top Go down
A Person238

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 4:08 pm

put my metal-clad boot in a server module? sounds fun
Back to top Go down
zei-keil

zei-keil

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 1:54 am

sunday night/ early monday morning.. its down.. Sad epic sadness .. wanted to play tonight.. maybe its back up now! Very Happy *checks*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Server crashes and sadness   Server crashes and sadness I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Server crashes and sadness
Page 1 of 1