Daggerdale 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Negative Reinforcement

Go down 
+2
Venerate One
Tearing the Weave
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

Negative Reinforcement Empty
PostSubject: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 12:21 pm

I thought about this alot last night after my episode in the Lord's Hall.I have seen and heard of people getting points for rping outside of their alignments but have not ever had nor once received lawful or good points for rping properly.Also rp bonuses in general unless questing are rarely received on the server as well.Maybe not making players feel penalized or trepid for going against the grain would inspire more to act out some.Also some positive reinforcement may go a long ways towards promoting rp on the server as well.Whether or not the admin. or staff agree people do not like to do things for nothing.Although healthy rp will perhaps eventually be rewarded with a ToD rp bonuses here and there would be great as well.Just a shot from my dome so please nobody be offended in any way.I sometimes just have to empty out my thoughts in a healthy manner instead of getting angry or holding resentments.
Back to top Go down
Venerate One
DM
DM
Venerate One

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Anyone who has ever had me DM for them, or anyone that I have watched RP for a lengthy period of time will tell you I always dish out RP rewards or alignment points. Its just a shame I cant be around all the time to do this for everyone, no matter how hard I try. (I guess going off to a hot sandy place to get shot at for 9 months will further dampen the DM train but what can ye do? :p )

If you feel you were put on by what happened last night then Im sure we can discuss it further in game.

You did, however, ask me to start running plots and stories for your higher level characters. I tried to start one last night and got nothing but grief for it. I gave your character a low point, and gave him a way to redeem himself. Instead all I got was hassle bro.
Back to top Go down
Tripp

Tripp

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 12:35 pm

I second Tibby on this one... I remember when Arclore and Shieldbasher found a body with a magical item on it that was a victum of a ambush on the road south of Dagger Falls... They decided to leave the body in peace and bury it. Arclore, CG at the time, got points in Lawful. His reward for letting Shieldbasher and his dwarven lawfulness rub off on him. As a player, I found it very enjoyable because it could of been a good or bad thing and like to see more of these "moral" discisions come up. Mind you, this was last july before people started holding the "ill mannered joke" against me to this day.
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 1:01 pm

With all due respect, players get RP xp all the time as well as points for their alignment hits if they make significant decisions during the course of RP. No, you won't get points for "playing your alignment" if you don't do anything significant. The RP chatter works for the RP XP, not for alignment hits. Also, how are you to get good points when you're at good 100? And I'm sorry you don't feel that arguing with your superiors, insulting them, questioning your gods priests faith, ignoring the words of your god spoken to you directly, refusing to follow a direct order, and pulling your weapon in the Hall are worth a few chaotic points. Those are all chaotic actions.

And Rod, that was some of the best RP I've seen from you. And it was after the ill mannered jokes. And those impressions are the ones you choose to leave with people. We've already had this conversation.
Back to top Go down
Bear_Den
DM
DM

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 10:47 am

Sounds like I missed a very entertaining event (like usual for me). Wish I could have been there.

It is easy to view an alignment shift (chaotic points for a lawful char) as a negative reward. I have received alignment shifts for some of my characters actions, both in a way I was hoping, and in the opposite way of what my characters 'overall' actions would warrant.

Based off the contents of what has been posted about the events, I would expect some shifts towards chaotic (and possibly dis-favor by your diety).

Couldn't this also be viewed as a reward as well though? It could open a multitude of RP opportunities for Thren to interact with his church.

As far as RP XP awards for positive reinforcement, sure it's always great to be rewarded for the time you spend playing. I think the dm's do work hard to ensure all players are rewarded for their roleplaying. Sure, there have been times where I hoped I would have been rewarded for what I thought was some great RP situations for my characters and have not. But there have also been times where a character of mine received an xp reward unexpectedly.

I may be naive and simplistic, but my real reward is playing a game I enjoy, with people I look forward to seeing on-line and on a server where the staff works hard to make the game exciting for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Q-2
DM
DM
Q-2

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 11:16 am

+1 for Bear_den

And also for Ven1 and whodatis - we all share a similar viewpoint on giving lawful or chaotic points, as well as on the good/evil spectrum - I tend to give one or two points every now and then when witnessing something small and semi-insignificant though.

However - people who are chaotic will have less chance to recieve chaotic points than lawful people are. Or so I deem Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tripp

Tripp

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 1:58 pm

More RP XP would be nice. The thought of having a bard with only 18 CHA and 14 INT with only RP skills being the Noble Stag's Inn "lounge singer" and not go out and risk his life for making a ballards of local heros is something I always wanted to do. But at the rate I've notice, not gonna happen in terms of furthering his skill as a musician/magician when it would take a few weeks to get him to level two.
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Again, I'll state: We do give out RP XP. Quite often. If you're in a group, you're more likely to be noticed than if you're on your own. As far as not going out at all? That's fine. But don't expect your growth to be the same as Johny who does both RP and go out. Also, you shouldn't expect XP for everything you do. The Rp is the ultimate reward and why we're all here, is it not?
Back to top Go down
Venerate One
DM
DM
Venerate One

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 6:05 pm

Lets all lay down what xp is. It's EXPERIENCE. Hence you gain it by EXPERIENCING new things, or practising the skills you have already.

Hence, by sitting round and talking, or drinking out front of the tavern and discussing the weather, you are not going to gain RP XP. I dont care how vivid and magical your RP is, to gain RP XP from me, your character has to have learned something.
Back to top Go down
Tearing the Weave
DM
DM
Tearing the Weave

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 7:27 pm

^^^ I don't neccessarily agree with statement.Alas I do not wish to argue as all of you as staff look for different things that in your opinions warrant alig. shifts and xp bonuses.Now as far as giving grief or acting rudely I can only offer up an apology.My uncle is in intensive care and perhaps finally succumbing to death as he was supposed to be dead over a year ago but on sheer willpower alone he keeps on living.He IS my favorite uncle.So I started drinking again....my life isn't easy so I guess the alcohol brought up some frustrations that I am experiencing in RL and they manifested themselves through me ig.Again my apologies.That would explain me being confrontational....or at least would rationalize my irrational actions.I enjoy my time here on the server and it gives me the well needed breaks from reality that I truly need right now.Feel free to speak with me ig.And keep doing what you guys do as they are sincerely appreciated.But positive reinforcement sometimes goes alot further than negative...and I say that from a parental perspective.With this all being said I shall depart from the boards now....*waves* See ya's IG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Negative Reinforcement   Negative Reinforcement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Negative Reinforcement
Page 1 of 1