Daggerdale 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to Neverwinter Nights gamers that wish to roleplay in the Forgotten Realms setting of Daggerdale and it's surrounding areas.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wand Crafting

Go down 
+4
whodatis?
Tripp
liquid shadow
zei-keil
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zei-keil

zei-keil

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 5:06 pm

Why does it cost so much... a wand of Neg energy protection costs just over 11000 gold.. just wondering why it costs such an ungodly amount.
Back to top Go down
liquid shadow
Admin
Admin
liquid shadow

Location : from? why I was squeezed from my mothers loins, bloody and squalling, where are you from? =D

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 7:20 pm

It's because people were taking advantage of the system by making an insane amount of wands only to sell them off at a ridiculous profit. We had the cost of crafting changed to deter this. Crafting wands, scrolls and potions shouldn't be something done so freely, in PnP such things were rarely done specifically because the cost was so high, it, in essence, drains part of your 'life force' or 'xp'. Since gold is fairly easily accessible on this server, we upped the cost to what we thought was a more reasonable price to pay. I hope this answers your question Smile
Back to top Go down
Tripp

Tripp

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 9:38 am

*raises hand* I want some of this mass amounts of gold you speak off. Averen can barely walk off with five hundred after leaving the kobolds area...
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 12:32 pm

Try heading to other areas with a group. The kobold area is made for lower levels which, by design, do not gain mass amounts of coin.
Back to top Go down
CalisCain

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 am

I understand the need raise the prices of wands to prevent the server from being flooded with them...but the price of a mere second level spells with only minutes of use shouldn't be in anycase over 11k...its just not right for a spell with minimal use's and such short duration.not to mention the charges it grants are minimal as well. only 15 charges for the wand...its a wand you could buy from anywand maker in a larger city for much less than i paid to make it.
Back to top Go down
CalisCain

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 11:08 am

Im mostlikely going to hate myself for this post later on but....why is the cost of making such a usefull wand such as bull strength so much cheaper than the wand mentioned above?....its used much more frequentl certainly more saleable. So why would a spell of the same level (i think they are anyway) cost so much less than another? It seems to me that some wands have no basis as to the price....Animate Dead for instance costs well over 13k to make and with minimal use's. Stoneskin costs less than a wand of negative energy protection...How do all the prices match?
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm guessing something fell through the cracks and the scripters will need to look at it....again. As for the cost, well...you don't need to gather components nor do any of the other things required in making a wand from PnP, so honestly, I don't see the beef. It's still relatively easy to do.
Back to top Go down
CalisCain

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 7:17 pm

i can certainly understand the price....but perhaps you could make the prices a bit more linear?
they are all-over the grid.
Back to top Go down
E

E

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

I dunno if it would work but ...

... could just mark PC-made wands as plot items and no one can sell 'em anyway.

People should be making them for their own uses instead of selling them.

Seriously, who trades XP for gold?
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 3:36 pm

They were marked as stolen items as well, so they can no longer be sold. However, the cost was still too low so it was upped. It sounds like a couple fell through the cracks when it was done and so the price is out of wack.
Back to top Go down
CalisCain

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:49 am

Well.....E...why exactly would a mage study wand crafting unless he was planning on making money?..the purpose of the wand is to make spelll casting readily available to people with the right amount of money, confining wands to the mages who make them themselves would kind of defeat the purpose of wands altogether.
Most all Wand crafters Craft wands expressly for the profit-consider it this way, XP really isn't an RP thing. When a mage creates a wand he doesnt become weaker or anything less than he was he just looses a little power. and alot of mages would trade that power for monetary wealth..especially when the power can be built back.
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Not at all. Most mages take up the study of magic to gain power. And they are not likely to be interested in making some mere coin in exchange for that power, especially when you consider that any mage could likely get whatever coin he wished through dishonest means. Good mages wouldn't want to risk something they made being used for evil purposes and no evil mage would want to get rid of any power for any reason, especially for mere monetary gain. And the making of magic items does leave mages weaker. What do you think the XP loss is? They sacrifice a bit of themselves when they do it. Mages that study making wands (which is rare in the "real world" do so to make life easier for themselves.
Back to top Go down
FederOnline

FederOnline

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 5:18 pm

CalisCain wrote:
Well.....E...why exactly would a mage study wand crafting unless he was planning on making money?..the purpose of the wand is to make spelll casting readily available to people with the right amount of money, confining wands to the mages who make them themselves would kind of defeat the purpose of wands altogether.

Peri will buy any BS, CG or Barkskin you can make...I think the issue was keeping people from "flooding" the market by making 2,431 Wand of CLW and selling them ALL to Grado (who would never actually buy that many).

Seriously, Peri is in the market.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FederOnline.net
E

E

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 6:50 pm

They could be making wands for those terrible moments when they've spent all their daily spells? That's what I'd be doing anyway.

And if I'd intend to sell wands, I wouldn't sell it to NPC Merchants who likely wouldn't accept an overpriced wand anyway. Heheheh.

And yeah. The XP bit is the arcanist pouring their own power into the wand. Their power is represented by how much XP they've gained, after all.
Back to top Go down
Raland

Raland

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:32 pm

E wrote:
They could be making wands for those terrible moments when they've spent all their daily spells? That's what I'd be doing anyway.

That is what I always thought the primary reason was. I believe a book specifically stated that wands should be for that intention as being used by the common person was dangerous to the mage's position in society.
Back to top Go down
Tripp

Tripp

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Arclore Conjurus, -trade wizard- and petting zoo summoner and possible loremaster... Whats a trade wizard? Look it up Magic of Faerun I think it refers to.
Back to top Go down
CalisCain

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Well...for 1 Calin is a cleric...That being said the energies he channels into the wands wouldn't be his own they would be his deities technically...And calin would sell his wands to just about anyone for the money. The small amount of XP loss is certainly worth it for him. And he can live with the pricing...the whole purpose of this thread was just to point out the seemingly random pricing of the wands.
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 9:35 pm

I was unaware Calin followed the god of money. *arches an eyebrow*
Back to top Go down
CalisCain

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 10:35 pm

He of course doesn't follow the god of money..but money is currently very useful to the cause of his order in this region....Calin doesn't sell wands anyway, this whole conversation has become convoluted and slightly off topic. We just wanted to inform the DM's of a possible problem with the wand system.
Back to top Go down
whodatis?
Admin
Admin
whodatis?

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:13 am

I know what the point was and I believe I addressed it way back when. It's something the scripter will have to look at to see if there's a reason certain wands are so different from others. But they were tweaked up to cost more and whatnot. Smile
Back to top Go down
CalisCain

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:35 am

I was just trying to return this to the original topic before this was extended into an 8 page debate on MONEY VS POWER....
Back to top Go down
Raland

Raland

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 5:55 am

*is enjoying this topic*
Back to top Go down
Tripp

Tripp

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 5:14 am

*grabs the mountain dew from the mini fridge under his desk and passes it raland and grabs the popcorn*

Sure beats the guild drama on my WoW server's forums and feel a bit smarter to boot for reading complete words!

*the can misses Raland and lands on the hard floor and bust open, only then does Rommel the Dauchund finally gets out of bed to slurp and lick up the spilled Mountain Dew on the floor*

Carry on!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wand Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wand Crafting   Wand Crafting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wand Crafting
Page 1 of 1